Welcome Partners and Volunteers!
Whether you are an individual who wants to be involved with a school project or event, or a business whose resources could benefit students throughout the district, your commitment and support of our students is needed now more than ever. Westlake City Schools is excited to partner with you for success.
The Benefits of Developing a Business/School Partnership
More and more businesses are thinking outside the box and partnering with their local school districts to reach an untapped audience of students, teachers, staff, parents and community members. School districts benefit by discovering an alternative means of funds. Business-school partnerships improve residents' perceptions of the positive impact of business and education working together in the local community.
Many local business are finding value in partnering with their local school district. By making an investment in sponsorship of a program, activity or school, it is an opportunity to show a commitment to the community where they do business. From underwriting technology, events, publications and naming rights on facilities and grounds, to mentoring, providing speakers, internships, field trips or professional development, there is a wide range of opportunities for businesses to give their time, talent, energy and resources.
For more information contact the superintendent's office at 440.871.7300.
As a result of the partnership, the schools and students engage in relevant, experiential learning and gain an understanding of the unique strengths and impact upon the larger community, as demonstrated by the partnering entity. This model of civic engagement will encourage students to be part of this community as adults, thereby enhancing retention to the Northeast Ohio economy.
Recognized Critical Components of Effective Partnerships
- Initially, the schools and partnering entity clearly establish how the relationship is mutually beneficial.
- Opportunities for student growth and achievement are matched within the District's Continuous Improvement Plan (CIP) and/or Strategic Plan.
- Partnering opportunities are continuous throughout the student's school career.
- Key contacts for the schools and the partnering entity are made clear from the start and those contacts have the ability to get things done within both organizations.
- The utilization of opportunities is maximized from both groups by matching the strengths of the parterning entity with the appropriate grade level and number of students. Partnerships can grow and develop to include a group related to the partnering entity and/or other schools and school districts.
- Mutual respect by all parties ensures that gains are not made at another's expense; rather, win-win scenarios are created with benefit to all.
- Partnerships do not depend upon one or two individuals, but are sustainable within the organization.
- Communication within the task is free-flowing and constructive, and includes check points, progress reviews and task adjustments as necessary.
- Accomplishments are recognized within the schools and greater community in order to maximize the benefit of and to sustain the partnership.
- Social - accepting responsibility; respecting others, cooperating, resolving conflict.
- Research - formulating questions, observing, planning, collecting, recording, organizing and interpreting data.
- Thinking - acquisition of knowledge, metacognition; application; analysis; synthesis; evaluation.
- Self-Management - gross and fine motor skills, spatial awareness; organization; time management; safety.
- Communication - listening, speaking, reading, writing, non-verbal.
- Appreciation - showing gratitude for the world and its people
- Commitment - perseverance, self-discipline
- Confidence - believing in oneself
- Cooperation - leading or following
- Creativity - imaginative in one's approach to situations
- Curiosity - having desire to learn
- Empathy - projecting oneself into another's situation
- Enthusiasm - enjoy learning
- Independence - acting upon one's own judgments
- Integrity - a firm sense of fairness
- Respect - high regard for others
- Tolerance - sensitivity to the needs of others