Westlake Elementary School
Westlake voters approved a 1.3-mill bond issue and 0.8-mill permanent improvement levy on Nov. 8, 2016. The bond issue will fund a new, centrally located PK-4 elementary school to replace the district's four aging schools. The PI levy creates a separate maintenance fund for capital expenses to help protect the public's investment in facilities.
The combined 2.1-mill issue completes the final phase of the Master Facilities Plan.
The 152,000-square-foot, two-story PK-4 elementary school is located at 27555 Center Ridge Road, Westlake, OH 44145. Expected completion is July 2019 with an opening of fall 2019.
Design development documents were issued Sept. 1, 2017. The early site package, earthwork and utilities, was awarded to Mr. Excavator Inc. in October. Work began onsite Nov. 8 with initial tree clearing. Tree clearing is anticipated to be performed in two phases.
Excavation of the detention basin, embankment and preparation of the building pad continue. The wetland permit was received and phase 2 tree clearing resumed. Construction documents are anticipated the first week of January.
The north and west parking areas are established to subgrade and work will proceed on the bus parking area. The temporary construction entrance, coordinated with the City of Westlake, is in place. The west entrance was established but not connected to Center Ridge Road.
The storm sewer piping and drainage structures are onsite and installation has begun. Work on the rammed aggregate piers is anticipated to begin in January 2018.
You may have noticed the perimeter site fencing is up. ICON Construction reached to local residents with contact information for questions and concerns associated with the project.
The building pad is complete to subgrade and excavation of the detention basin is complete. The temporary construction entrance, as coordinated with the City of Westlake, is in place. The west entrance has been established, but not connected to Center Ridge Road. The revised location of the entrance, as requested by the City of Westlake, is under review.
Installation of the storm sewer piping and drainage structures continue. Installation of the waterline, including fire lines, is anticipated bo begin mid-February.
Project Timeline At A Glance
- November 2016: Combined bond issue/permanent improvement levy passed
- February 2017: ICON Construction selected as construction manager
- February-June 2017: Schematic Design Phase
- June-September 2017: Design Development Phase
- September 2017-January 2018: Construction Documents Phase
- October 2017-August 2019: Construction
- October 2017-March 2018: Early sitework (includes tree removal, site clearing, site grading, preparation of building pad, storm and sanitary sewers, grading, water line)
- February 2018-July 2019: Building construction
- July-August 2019: Ribbon cutting and school opening
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the New Westlake Elementary School
- How will the new elementary school be structured?
- The building is designed with three separate houses, including a one-story house for PK and K, a two-story house for grades 1-2, and another two-story house for grades 3-4. Central to the plan are the administration offices and core facilities, including the gymnasium, cafetorium, and art and music rooms. Each house has a central Extended Learning Area (ELA). These spaces are flexible and adaptable and can easily be rearranged to accommodate a wide variety of activities and group sizes.
- How many students will attend the new elementary school?
- How will the consolidation of four buildings impact staffing levels?
- By consolidating four elementary schools into one building, we will save over $1.2 million in staffing costs alone. Almost all staffing reductions will be eliminated through retirements with no or minimal layoffs.
- How will special services, such as gifted and intervention programs, be delivered to students?
- We are working on a plan to align the practices of the four buildings to best meet the needs of our students. We will provide updates once the plan is finalized.
- How will you handle traffic on the new site and on surrounding streets?
- Construction traffic will be limited to Center Ridge Road for the bulk of the project. Light construction traffic will occur on Westown Boulevard during driveway creation and connecting utility work.
- The land exchange with the city included an agreement for road improvements on Center Ridge Road, including the addition of a left turn lane into the site, a committed right turn lane to handle traffic into the site, and a four-way intersection at Glenmore Drive with a traffic signal. Since then, the city has decided to add an additional light at Westown Boulevard and Dover Center Road.
- How many parking spaces will there be on the site? Will the site be able to accommodate all-school events?
- Total car spaces is 347. 121 of those spaces will be located behind the building and used for bus staging during pickup and drop-off periods during the school day, and for additional event parking after hours.
- How many special events held after hours do you anticipate throughout the year?
- This is part of the transition planning being addressed by our administrative team and our PTA units, which will look at consolidating events.
- Will start and end times for the elementary school change?
- We anticipate a schedule similar to the current school bell schedule.
- Will the 1-mile radius for busing still be imposed with the new building?
- Yes, the current 1-mile walk area for PK-4 will remain in effect for the new elementary school.
- How many buses will be on site daily?
- The lot can handle 30 buses at any one time. Bus routing is under development for the new attendance area. Bus routes will be communicated prior to the start of the 2019-2020 school year to allow ample time for parents and students to prepare and plan.
- How will you prevent parents from parking at Westlake Porter Public Library or on Westown Boulevard to pick up their children?
- We will communicate to our parents that they are not to park in those areas.
- When will the new school open?
- We anticipate a Fall 2019 opening.
- What will happen to the current elementary buildings and properties?
- Our intent is to eventually raze the four elementary buildings and/or repurpose one or more buildings for school use. The land will be used for field space.
- Will traffic flow and parking change on the Lee Burneson Middle School/Dover Intermediate School campus with Dover Elementary closing?
- Dover Elementary School will be razed and the current parking area will be redesigned to improve traffic flow on the site.
- Westlake Schools hosts groundbreaking for new elementary school building 9/14/17
- New Westlake elementary school will be located on Center Ridge Road 4/10/17
- Westlake Schools' November ballot issue won't raise taxes 8/2/16
- 'No tax increase' bond issue for new elementary school on the ballot 7/25/16
- Schools, city announce land deal 3/6/17
- Moving Westlake forward 1/16/17